On June 9, the 2019 Conference Committee approved a safe drinking water funding solution for disadvantaged communities in California that do not have access to safe drinking water. The solution will be enacted through the 2019-’20 Budget and related trailer bill language.
What are the elements of the plan?
- In the first year, Fiscal Year 2019-’20, the safe drinking water funding solution will be funded with $100 million from the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund (GGRF) and $30 million from the General Fund. This will be part of the 2019-’20 Fiscal Year State Budget
- After the first year, the funding will be 5% of the GGRF continuously appropriated – capped at $130 million per year
- The agreement includes General Fund funding as a backstop if 5% of the GGRF is less than $130 million in any year
- The solution does not include a water tax
- Trailer bill language will create a safe drinking water fund and provide the framework for the funding program
Many Legislators on both sides of the aisle played key roles in making this agreement possible. The leadership of the Governor, the Senate President pro Tem, and the Speaker and the work of the Conference Committee in solved a complex problem to ensure that all Californians have access to safe drinking water.